switch in bathroom?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ajax
Tradesman
Tradesman

switch in bathroom?

by ajax » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:14 pm

hello,

I am looking at having some "mood" lights in my bathroom. They are 12V LED lights, which are submersible (bought originally for pond). They are fed from a 230/12V supply/transformer. Becasue I am only planning, I have this question. The 230V would be plugged into a spur unit in the loft, but would I be able to have a switch in the bathroom for the lights (not pull cord) as it is only 12V ? (Switch would be taken after the transformer along the 12V supply line). I am just after a way of switching the lights on without a socket, and if possible, without a pull cord (bathroom has too many already).

many thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:57 pm

hi, probably ok regs wise but transformer would be energised 24/7 and will probably 'cook' in fairly short time as not usually continuously rated,
regards SPARX
NB I have fitted similar in our 'spar room' but bought a cheap plug through remote socket adaptors £19 at B&Q with remote control 'zapper' one handset controls 3 sets of lights, one recessed set the others are led strings, very moody!

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:03 pm

Depends on transformer if rated for example 10 - 50 watt then no as switch mode and must have a load. But if a true transformer then most likely will be OK but not recommended normally would switch supply to transformer. Although it would work and if designed for a pond should be OK to run 24/7 there may be something on transformer? Regs wise no problems.

ajax
Tradesman
Tradesman

by ajax » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Hello,

thanks for that guys, I see the point about the transformer being "cooking" all the time. The remote socket sounds like the perfect answer.

thanks a lot.

ajax
Tradesman
Tradesman

by ajax » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:06 pm

hello,

would I be correct in thinking, this item is what you were referring to, from B & Q. ??

Home+Easy+Remote+Control+Socket+Kit+Pack+of+3+Silver+Effect&selected=products&x=24&y=7

many thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:22 pm

Hi again, from string it sounds like the things i use, may be branded as "BYRON" one set I have are silver, another set from Maplin I think are white, we make use of them at christmas to control decs around the place,easy to sw. off without climbing around tree ect.
regards SPARX

ajax
Tradesman
Tradesman

by ajax » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:49 am

hello,

for some reason, didnt post the full webpage.
The one i put was from B&Q, if you put in the following in the search, it comes up.

Home Easy Remote Control Socket Kit Pack of 3 Silver Effect

comes in white, I guess this is what you are referring to.

Bearing in ,ind I would probably ask for the sockets to be put in the loft, would the remote work from the bathroom below ? Not sure about having to wave the remote around all over to try and switch it. Certainly sounds like the answer I was after anyway.
Many thanks
regards

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:15 am

Hi agn, mine work through solid walls they are radio freq 433.92MHz will work over a fair range, no pointing reqd.BYRON type RS5T on back of zapper,
regards SPARX

ajax
Tradesman
Tradesman

by ajax » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:22 am

righto, many thanks for that all. Im off to do some shopping...

regards

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:14 pm