switch on ring main
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ajax
Tradesman
Tradesman

switch on ring main

by ajax » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:03 am

In continuation, to my "grand designs" idea for my new bathroom, and option I have thought of has arrisen, but unsure if it is wise, or correct to do so. I have some low power LED lights in the bathroom, running of a watertight socket under the bath. These lights come from a 3 pin socket, with 3A use, then down to their own step down transformer. A good idea that was suggested to me, from this forum (wireless remote from a socket in loft), but one other option came to mind.
If I were to put a 13A fuse under the bath, run the supply from a switch outside the bathroom (say lightswitch), then on to a socket in loft with 3A fuse, would this be acceptable ? I still have the 3A fuse protection, just in a more practicle location, but am I ok to put a light switch itm in that loop ? I know it would tidy up the lights area, having light switched for everything now (main lights and low LED's), just uncertain if this is ok as per regulations.

Would anyone have any advice ?

thanks
adrian

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:43 pm

As I am sure you realise there are at the moment two sets of regulations in force. Any plug and socket fitted under a bath will need the use of a key or tool to access and without considering the regulations can you be sure that anyone overfilling the bath could not splash in a way they could get wet. I would not be happy with plugs and sockets under a bath.
I would never use a 13A socket on a lighting supply someone always tries to use it. And under a bath would it not be better to have everything water proof just in case?
Your unlikely to have a supply at a switch normally only line and switch no neutral.
There are so many regulations which control the use of power in a bathroom which could be easily missed when not on site and since it is Part P you could get a visit so it has to be correct. Scotland has different regulations and since I don't live there I have not studied them.
Most electrical firms will give a quote on work and will normally tell you if you can't do as you want. And make sure you know who is going to submit paper work saw a quote the other day with note at the bottom that all building control was the responsibility of the house holder. i.e. they were not registered under the system of self cert and had included this get out. I know one spark who does mainly disabled home alterations and the Part P is free for disabled so he has never registered he does fill in the forms but the disabled person has to submit them to get the cert for free so not all domestic electricians are in system.

ajax
Tradesman
Tradesman

RE

by ajax » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:24 am

hello,

the sockets are already installed, and they are IP66 enclosed sockets, and a tool is required to get access to any of the sockets, as they are behind screwed in panels, 12" from the ground, so that side is all ok.

Its only, i'm not sure whether you can connect them to the lighting circuit, or the ring mains, as although they power lights, they are technically sockets ? If, like I assume, you have to connect to the main, then could I put an intermediate switch outside the bathroom for that socket, the other end would connect via another plug to a socket in the loft. I only ask as the studwork at the entrance to the bathroom door is going in now, and although I am doing the layout, I do have an electrician who is going to certify the final deal, problem is, he is away on holiday at the moment, so cannot answer this quesry of mine. I just dont want to cut the cable now, outside the bathroom, with a view to putting it on a switch, find out I cannot do it, and have to uplift the floor again, and re run a longer cable.

many thanks

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:37 pm