Switched live wire?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jacobite73
Labourer
Labourer

Switched live wire?

Post by jacobite73 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:23 pm

Help, I am trying to replace an old ceiling rose with a new light fitting. The problem is that I have 3 grey cables coming from the cieling, 2 with blue, brown and earth and 1 cable that has blue, earth and live switch (blue and brwon) and i dont know if the live switch should be conected with the other blue or brown cable, any advice would be gratefully recieved.

sparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by sparks » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:40 pm

how it works one in one out one to the switch ,blue and brown wires indicates a modern installation ,sounds like some doughnut forgot the phase identification this is brown sleeve or tape on the blue wire. what you need to to is identify the switch, connect a meter across each blue and brown, switch the switch on and when you get continuity youve found the switch wire,lable this wire connect all browns together then connect to terminal block ,connect all green and yellow and connect to E terminal and connect the two remaining blues to the N terminal then connect blue with brown tape or sleeve (switch) to the L live . this circuit should be tested for continuity of the earth and would require a minor works cerificate

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:38 pm