t+g on t+g
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dibnah
Apprentice
Apprentice

t+g on t+g

by dibnah » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:54 pm

has anybody tried laying new tongue and groove on old t+g floorboards, I need to smarten up the upstairs floors, but supporting walls are stood on the floorboards! ceiling hight is over 9' so that is no prob. If its possible would I need a sheet of something first to take out the uneveness? Skirting is not down yet either!
Or, has anybody any other tips to smarten floors up!!

stew
Apprentice
Apprentice

by stew » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:28 pm

I be suprised if you have supporting walls on the floorboards, i suspect they are devideing walls, but i know what you mean,
i be more inclined to hire a industrail sander one of them will take out the uneveness, i dont think its a good idear to fit new t-g over old t-g.

dibnah
Apprentice
Apprentice

t+g on t+g

by dibnah » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:40 pm

[quote="stew"]I be suprised if you have supporting walls on the floorboards, i suspect they are devideing walls, but i know what you mean,
i be more inclined to hire a industrail sander one of them will take out the uneveness, i dont think its a good idear to fit new t-g over old t-g.[/quote][[quote]
Stew ta for info, I meant supporting wall below, dividing (but supporting) wall above!
Floor has been butchered beyond belief, and is not serviceable as is! (one or two well meaning mates doing jobs for daughter, c/h and rewire butchery of boards! I need a cheapish solution to pretty the place up rather quick, but don't want to go down the laminate floor road. It sounds so "false".
Place is a bomb site, they've totally gutted the place, but don't know how to put it right, so I've inherited a 'project'. [/quote]

pablo2
Tradesman
Tradesman

by pablo2 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi there

try 6mm ply over the floor this will even things out then carpet . If you ply it should be stapled or better ring shank nails 25mm every 150mm , but before you do this make sure you have no more reason to remove the floor .

Pablo

Tall Tone
Ganger
Ganger

by Tall Tone » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:07 pm

How about engineered boards (real wood) over underlay ontop of the T&G. Try Khars or Boen, good quality and will last for years.

dibnah
Apprentice
Apprentice

t/g probs.

by dibnah » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:14 pm

ta for the suggestions, what's engineered boards? and are they reasonable? will have shufty on't tinternet!
dibnah.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:55 am