Table lamp wiring issue
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jeff d
Labourer
Labourer

Table lamp wiring issue

Post by jeff d » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:20 pm

Bought a table lamp today, std 3 pin plug would not enter switch without forcing it hard.Decided to replace plug with the one off the old lamp and then saw the wiring on the new lamp was not colour coded and the cable was transparent with no colour on at all both wires looking identical.
i know that some folk say it does not matter which way round they go on a 2 core cable set up but surely the manafacturers have to show blue and brown cables on their flex.
I returned the lamp with the retailer saying they would look into it.
have i been to cautious and worried about nothing.
This was a main street retailer not some stall at a market.
Jeff

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:10 am

I have come across this before & some have a very faint & thin blue & brown line running in the clear cable. As for freinds saying not to worry about which way round the cables are connected, they are asking for trouble.
1. The light may have a switch & the live must always go through this 1st.
2. If the lamp is a screw in lamp, the live must always go to the centre live terminal of the lamp holder & not to the neutral side as this is the lamps threaded side & can be easily touched with your fingers wile the lamp is on.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:07 pm

514.5.1 The lettering or numbering system applies to identification of individual conductors and of conductors in a group. The identification shall be clearly legible and durable. All numerals shall be in strong contrast to the colour of the insulation. The identification shall be given in letters or Arabic numerals. In order to avoid Confusion. Unattached numerals 6 and 9 shall be underlined.

However in real terms unless there is a single pole switch on the lamp or it uses screw bulbs then it really does not need the cores identifying.

Remember neutral is a live wire and well as the line so should be treated the same. Since we are part of European common market and countries like Germany have reversible plugs most items now have double pole switching to comply with European trading rules.

If I was the shop keeper I would not want to accept back any item which had been tampered with. To return because plug was faulty and would not fit socket was fair. But once you admit tampering then really they were very good taking it back.

jeff d
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jeff d » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks for response i have browsed through numerous web sites regarding colour coding of wiring and not one has put forward that 2 core lighting flex can be non colour coded the cable basically looked like speaker cable ,
the retailer had no choice but to accept the lamp back especially when the wiring issue was pointed out i have contacted them today and they have withdrawn the lamp from sale while they do their own investigation their was a dimmer switch also in line to the lamp which had 6 bulbs of a 2 pin type similar i suppose to xmas tree lights
it was 160 quid for godsake i expected it to be a decent std

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:08 am