Taking gas to outhouse - most cost effective method

Postby killainstinct » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Good afternoon gents,

First post here so please forgive me for any mistakes. Not very clued up when it comes to diy stuff!

Recently me and my father decided to built an outhouse at then end of the garden. It has come to the stage where the electrics, water and gas need to go in.

Gas seems to be the only problem! I had a gas man come round and give me a quote of £500+ to take gas from the connection where my cooker is at the moment in the kitchen. Outside under the ground and run it up to the outhouse.

I'm told the majority of the cost is due to getting flexible copper piping that can go underground. So my question is this.

Cheapest way to get gas to the outhouse?

Can I get someone to run copper piping above ground down to the outhouse and then use something to insulate it?

I also thought of using the yellow MDPE pipe which is cheap to buy but I'm told only specific contractors are allowed to use it?!? I understand it can only be used externally and needs to go underground at a certain depth, is the gas dude correct in telling me not everyone is ok to fiddle with it.

I must apologise for my haphazard post and lack of any proper terminology!

Thank you for any help.
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:26 pm


Simply Build It

Postby proptech » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:19 am

The work you are proposing MUST be carried out by a Gas Safe registered installer, this is not a DIY job. You could of course, do the digging for the contractor. MDPE is freely available in the trade.
What appliances are you proposing to use, and how long is that supply?
It doesn't sound right coming from a cooker supply.
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Postby killainstinct » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Sorry if I made it sound like if be doing it myself. Will definitely be done by someone in the gas trade.

It needs to run about 15 metres down the garden into the outhouse and as far as I know it will be powering another gas cooker and maybe a heater
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Postby proptech » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Can I suggest that you find another Gas Safe installer. This installation needs to be carefully planned, with the existing appliances taken into account, and pressure losses, in order to decide the pipe size, and where the supply can be taken from.
Just from the info you have supplied, I would have thought that the new supply may have to be taken from the meter outlet, rather than the cooker, and the underground section run in 20 or 25mm MDPE. But that's for the installer to decide the best course of action.
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Postby killainstinct » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Thank you for your help proptech.

I was told I should use 25mm MDPE pipe. The confusion started when a different installer told me it shouldn't be used.

Looks like I will have to get another installer or two to come around and have a look, I also originally assumed that the connection would be taken from the gas meter.

Why is it so difficult to get people in the gas and electric trade to flipping turn up and have a look!

Either way thank you for your advise.
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics