tape joints/external corner
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
olly22
Apprentice
Apprentice

tape joints/external corner

Post by olly22 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi,

I plan to plasterboard my outhouse. I was planning to use dot and dab to fix to existing brick wall. I was also planning to use paper tape and jointing compound rather than skim coat. My question is...

How do you get a crisp external corner with tape and jointing compound? I need to board around a brick pier. I assume that if I was doing a skim coat i would use an angle bead and skim up to it. However, as I am not putting a top coat on how would I get the external corner? can you buy special angle beads that are specifically for dry lining?

Also, what is the best way to fix board to brick wall without losing much internal space?

Thanks

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

Post by JRS » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:10 pm

The 2 edges would need to be sound before putting tape on. Cut metal edge tape to size then make enough filler, put filler on each edge of the corner and apply the tape, squeeze any exess filler out so the tape is a tight fit and when dry second coat with filler.

30yearsinthegame
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by 30yearsinthegame » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:23 am

for a better finish dont use metal tape. metal tape is used for external corners. use firbeglass tape for internal walls and fill twice.

30yearsinthegame
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by 30yearsinthegame » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:25 am

sorry jrs is spot on . just seen you say external not internal. see thats whats plastering has done to me , fried my brains.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:49 pm