11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LisaW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Taps that turn the Wrong Way

by LisaW » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi,
Can anyone help.
I have just bought a some 1/4 turn bathroom taps and have noticed that the hot tap turns on/off the 'wrong' way. While I am getting used to this, guests are not and I am constantly left with some embarassed guests and a wet floor/wall when they try to turn it off and instead it goes on full.
Is there anything that can be done to rectify this or do I have to buy different taps?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:58 pm

Sorry but this is how some taps are designed to work and unfortunately there is no way of changing how they work. It is usually seen on lever taps where traditional working would mean the levers would point different ways to each other when on or off. This would make them look odd.

LisaW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for replying

by LisaW » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:56 am

That's a shame - thanks for replying.

Burnerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Burnerman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:10 pm

You can usually reverse these taps by removing the handle and simply turning it 90' and replacing it. I haven't had to do one for a while but if you want more advice post a reply and I'll pull one apart and give you more detailed instructions. There wil be some sort of clip/circlip inside holding the handle on it's just a matter of changing the figure 8 ceramic seal to work the other way.

LisaW
Apprentice
Apprentice

by LisaW » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi Burnerman. If you could give more details on how to do this that would be great.
Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:18 am

But Burnerman, when you do that it will mean the handles will point in different directions when the taps are both off or on. That's why one turns the wrong way now.

rajesh27uk
Labourer
Labourer

I have tried what you explained but it does not work. Please

by rajesh27uk » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:30 am

[quote="Burnerman"]You can usually reverse these taps by removing the handle and simply turning it 90' and replacing it. I haven't had to do one for a while but if you want more advice post a reply and I'll pull one apart and give you more detailed instructions. There wil be some sort of clip/circlip inside holding the handle on it's just a matter of changing the figure 8 ceramic seal to work the other way.[/quote][b]

I have tried what you explained but unfortunately it does not work. Please help with some more details ![/b]

Burnerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Burnerman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:15 pm

[quote="plumbbob"]But Burnerman, when you do that it will mean the handles will point in different directions when the taps are both off or on. That's why one turns the wrong way now.[/quote]

I see your point but it depends if they have handles or are just standard finger grip taps which will mean they have a universal direction. If they do have a handle/lever then it's just a matter of reversing the ceramic seal/seat. I've done it for a few people so I know it works, usually after using their taps and finding that they turn the wrong way, which is amazingly annoying for such a small defect.

Burnerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Burnerman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:43 pm

Ok, took some 1/4 turn taps apart today so I could remember how to change direction.
Removed handle from tap to find specially shaped washer beneath held in place by brass circlip, remove circlip, lift washer and replace against opposite stop, this will reverse operation of ceramic seat.
Remember to turn the water off just in case circlip is the only thing holding the two halfs of seat against each other.
Lisa W - if this isn't the way your tap is constructed please advise of manufacturer and I'll try and find one.

LisaW
Apprentice
Apprentice

by LisaW » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:06 am

Hi Burnerman - thanks for that - I'll give it a go.

LisaW
Apprentice
Apprentice

by LisaW » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi,
That didn't work. My taps are Arena made specially for Homebase. The washers inside were grooved so that it could only work one way.
I may see if I can buy the whole ceramic unit, although they only seem to come in pairs which would make them very expensive!
Thanks for your help, Burnerman.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:08 pm