telephone extension kit problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
claireyv
Labourer
Labourer

telephone extension kit problem

Post by claireyv » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:28 pm

Having problems with a Philex DIY telephone extension kit. Used something similar in the past with no problems and the finally connecting stage was straight forward. This kit comes with a "connecting tool" and a rather unhelpful diagram . I can't seem to connect the wires to the appropriate slots. Instructions are "carefully strip 50mm of sheath from the cable and make connection as shown (!). Use the connecting tool to press the the wires into the connecton slots, there is no need to remove insulation". Now I'm not a DIY expert but I just can't see how I'm meant to do it - there doesn't seem to be anything for the wires to connect to - especially without removing the insulation. I don't see where the connecting tool comes in as diagram is useless. I'm sure there must be a straight forward explanation! If anyone has used this kit before or could advise me where to look with regard better diagrams, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks a lot

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

Post by 333rocky333 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:43 am

Dont know the kit but
Has the tool got a slot in it.
Usually you strip the main wire till you have the seperate cores 50mm as said, usually there is a slot and a small cable tie to secure wire to the centre of the socket to hold in place, then splay out the cores to the terminals , do not strip these inner cores, just lay over the metal slot of the terminal ,using the tool over the cable , push cable down,
this will force cable down into groove , the metal will cut into each side of the core making a connection through to the copper.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:01 am

With a proper insertion tool it pushes the cable between two bits of metal spaced so there is no room for flex which is as a result cut by the metal and the little seizor things cut cable to length. Cheap models of insertion tools need the cable to be pre-cut and often the silly plastic things don't work and one ends up pushing cable in with a terminal screw driver either side of the slot a real pain in the neck. On a standard phone only three connections do any thing one in from either end is real phone connection i.e. 2 and 5 and the other wire is either 3 or 4 can't remember which and it makes them ring. 2 and 5 need to be right way around for all phone to work but some phones don't seem to care so one can test with a phone and get called back later. Some quote wire colours but I have found they are not always followed even by BT so I only look at position.

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

Post by stevenc1603 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:54 pm

Look at the back of the faceplate and you should see 2 connector blocks with 3 positions on each.

Strip the outer sheath off the cable back about 50mm. This will expose the inner wires. Normally there are 6 in telephone cable but you only need 2 to make it work properly.

I think that the proper colours to use are the orange and the white/orange wires but as ericmark says, sometimes other pairs are used.

Cable tie the cable into its position before you start trying to terminate the wires. its saves you needing a third hand if nothing else.

Now get your 2 cores and lay one over the number 2 slot and the other over the number 5 slot. Don't just cut the other wires off. I usually fold them back out the way just in case they are needed in the future. Now your ready to punch the wires down. Use the horrible little plastic tool to push the wires into the slots. Make sure the wire has actually been successfully terminated. Look closely to make sure its not just sitting at the top of the metal forks in a small hump. You may need to use a small screwdriver to get them to crimp properly as the plastic tools are rubbish.

HTH

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

Post by 333rocky333 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:20 pm

2 and 5 are the main connections for one phone,
If an extension and two or more phones to be used the number 3 terminals need to be linked otherwise the extensions wont ring with certain phones.

claireyv
Labourer
Labourer

Post by claireyv » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:14 pm

thanks for the advice - will give it a try and see how it goes!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:08 am