Temp Garage Conversion
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
graham101
Apprentice
Apprentice

Temp Garage Conversion

by graham101 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:12 pm

I would like to convert half my garage into a study room for the next few years (about 4 years or so). When I sell the property I may take it down and return the garage to its original use; so no planning or formal changes required.

So my question is; as the garage is single brick what sort of stud wall should I construct 4” x 2” chipboard/MDF/plasterboard and what should I put on the top of this study room as it has an asbestoses corrugated roof.

Also could I use 50mm polystyrene as the insulation between the 4” x 2”’s and what on the floor?

Do I need to waterproof the brickwork (inside or outside)?

A local builder quoted around £700/£800 and mentioned gymsol material – never heard of it.

At that price I need to do it myself.

Many thanks,

Graham.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:43 pm

Do you keep a vehicle in the garage?
If you do, you need a fire proof wall.
Probably a block wall will be the easiest to build.
Blocks are cheap and you can DIY at very little cost.
Light weight blocks are easy to remove.
Celotex make an ideal product, a foam backed plasterboard, that you can stick to the wall.

graham101
Apprentice
Apprentice

by graham101 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:07 pm

Thanks Perry, no car will be in the garage, too small now.

I just wanted to put up a simple cheep stud wall; but unsure about what to use; plaster board or chipboard and what installation to to use.

Also what to use on the internal roof.

Regards,

Graham.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:22 pm

The traditional method is to use 2x4 inch studding.
This will give you a strong frame, and if you fix oriental strand board on each side a reasonable quick job and finish.
For reasonable warmth you should infill with polystyrene.
Cutting tapered edges where the polystyrene can be pushed in as a tight fit.
Use the same procedure for the ceiling.

graham101
Apprentice
Apprentice

by graham101 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:47 pm

Thanks Perry, I want to go with the plaster boards that you can stick to the walls.
But having been down to my local Jewson's they only do thier version of foam backed plaster boards call Ecoboards which have a foil backing.

So is it possible to get foam backed boards without the foil or what can be used to stick these foil backed boards to the wall. Or is it a case to build a stud frame.

Cheers,

Graham.

eljaybee
Ganger
Ganger

by eljaybee » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:30 pm

I think that you will find that you should still apply for approval under the Building Regulations and if you don't you could be prosecuted. It doesn't matter that you are currently think that it's only going to be for 4 years you should still get permission.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:18 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm