Terminating Mains from Cable to Security Light that Ran Under Bath
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
christatedavies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Terminating Mains from Cable to Security Light that Ran Under Bath

by christatedavies » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:36 pm

So I am refitting my bathroom and I had an electric cable running under my bath. This went outside to a security light.

I have moved the bathroom round (long story) and now the bath isn't where it was, and thus the cable is in the way. I turned off the power and cut the cable in the airing cupboard (it dropped down from the attic into the airing cupboard and through the bathroom wall)

For the time being, I have secured it in some connector blocks but I am intending on securing it in a much safer/permanent fitting. I bought a fused spur but I'm guessing its the wrong thing now. What is the correct terminology for a pattress box that goes on the wall, that the cable runs into and is terminated?

I'm presuming it won't be earthed as I will just have a plastic box screwed to the wall.

Any advice would be gratefully taken.

Chris

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Terminating Mains from Cable to Security Light that Ran Under Bath

by ericmark » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:24 am

I have read and reread your post and I can’t work out the question. Fitting a switched fused connection unit (FCU) with an outside light is always a good move as in the main the switch is double pole so if you get water in the lamp you can isolate so stopping it tripping the RCD.

Some pattress boxes do have cable clamps one has to be careful which make if the cable clamp is required.

Even with a class II lamp the cable must still have an earth wire even though it’s not used and just taped out of the way in case wanted in the future.

Rules for bathrooms are special daft as it may seem if the bath panel is screwed in place you can have a junction box under bath but if just clipped you can’t.

Clearly both for bathroom and outside the supply must be RCD protected. If not already protected a RCD FCU is the easy option.

Metal clad back box and FCU will better take stuffing glands and clamp round cables.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:04 am