Termostatnot switching off central heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stiltonjohn
Labourer
Labourer

Termostatnot switching off central heating

by stiltonjohn » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi, I have a potterton EP6002 controller. The termostat does not control the room temperature. the termostat is wired correctly and I can hearit click on and off as I turn it up and down. I have used a multimeter to check that the common is not shorting with either the neutral or the live so I think the problem must be in the controller. The house was built 8 years ago with the system installed and my neighbours have the same problem. Could it be a dip swich setting inside the controller ? If so which one and where are they Please help I can only controll the central heating on the timer. Everything els works fine.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:06 pm

The thermostat can have one of three main jobs.
• To turn whole central heating on and off.
• To turn central heating on when there is a danger of freezing.
• To turn central heating off when summer has arrived.
With thermostatic radiator valves often, there are no electrical thermostats, and when there is, it will be for one of the latter two functions. In both cases they are normally placed in a cold area of the house.
A frost stat will not turn central heating off, but if you turn it off at the time clock it should turn central heating on even when time clock is off.
The summer stat on the other hand should turn it off.
There is a fourth type which monitors outside temp and reduces inside temp when summer arrives.
There is also fifth type that works a zone motorised valve but with radiator thermostatic valves these are becoming less common.
So which have you got?
As to switches in programmer most have two modes one which with allow central heating without hot water and the other will not either way a thermostat should turn off central heating.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1