Testing of RCD's and RCBO's
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

Testing of RCD's and RCBO's

Post by Dadwood » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:20 pm

Although my domestic consumer unit does not have an in-built RCBO or RCD, I would imagine that if it did, it would be good practice to test it periodically. Weekly? Monthly? Quaterly? Whatever, but surely not daily! So why is it that the new 2 gang RCD socket installed in my kitchen has the wording 'Test before every use'? If I was to do that, I reckon it would be tested six or seven times a day! This seems ridiculous, especially as both kbrownie and sparx have kindly explained (in answer to one of my previous questions) that RCD's may become faulty or tired due to tripping many times. Do I really need to test it each time I use it?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Testing of RCD's and RCBO's

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:45 am

[quote="Dadwood"]Although my domestic consumer unit does not have an in-built RCBO or RCD, I would imagine that if it did, it would be good practice to test it periodically. Weekly? Monthly? Quaterly? Whatever, but surely not daily! So why is it that the new 2 gang RCD socket installed in my kitchen has the wording 'Test before every use'? If I was to do that, I reckon it would be tested six or seven times a day! This seems ridiculous, especially as both kbrownie and sparx have kindly explained (in answer to one of my previous questions) that RCD's may become faulty or tired due to tripping many times. Do I really need to test it each time I use it?[/quote]

DADWOOD
Any doubts about whether your rcd is operating correctly,
then consult a registered electrician with the relevant test
gear to perform a proper set of rcd tests.
2nd i would test it quarterly .

BLAKEY1963

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:41 am

Hi Dadwood,
because of the nature that this accessory could be used ie pluging an electric mower in and cutting the grass outside the equopotential zone.
Where enviromental and hazardous conditions can change.
It would be advisable to check it everytime it is used, I do with my RCD protected extension lead. That quiet often takes visit to the great outdoors with me!
The RCD at the CU is recommended a quarterly function test and reset.
KB

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dadwood » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks to you both for your kind replies. I gather from them that I don't really need to test the RCD every time I go to boil a kettle, and if I do, it will shorten the life of the unit much quicker than if I only test it (say) monthly and ALWAYS before I use it to power an outdoor piece of equipment. Am I on the right lines?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:57 am

Dadwood,
That would be a fair summary.
KB

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:33 pm