The best method to connect pipes?

Postby Adam » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:39 pm

Hi

I'm about to fit in a new bathroom suite & I need to run a waste & hot & cold pipes under the floor so I want to use pipe connectors that will last.

I suppose its a matter of opinion but which pipe connectors are best? Compression, push-fit or solvent wield or O ring? Basically which ones last the longest. Any ideas?

Also can you connect new plastic pipes to old copper pipes for the water inflow?

Thanks
Adam
Adam

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby sparty » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Adam, you can use any of those type of fittings. Obviously the yorkshire fittings, solder, are the cheapest. You can get them with the solder ring in so all you have to do is apply heat, or you can solder them yourself. However, push fittings are the easiest and quickest way of doing the job. I prefer the speedfit ones as I find them easier to remove than the Hep2o ones. Provided you get them on straight first time they are dead easy. They will last just as long as any other fitting. You can attach plastic pipe to copper pipe no problem, again you can use the push fittings (don't forget the pipe inserts if you are using plastic pipe!!). Just a tip, have some washing up liquid to hand, smear a bit on the pipe before fitting the push fitting, it helps things along nicely.

Hope this helps.

Andy
sparty

Postby sparkyspam » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:12 am

I wouldnt use any joins in an inaccessible area if possible. Just bend the copper to where it has to go. w.r.t. pvc waste pipes, I'd use 'solvent cement'. Cant hurt to wrap some 'rubberweld' tape around the pvc joins to boot.

well thats what I did under my wetroom floor and I dont want ever want to have to dig the tiles up there.
sparkyspam

Sort by
Order by