The Old ceiling Rose Question - After Removing and Replacing With new Light Fitting

Postby epoch911 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi All
I'm fresh on here so please be gentle! Its the age old question I'm afraid - I've removed a ceiling rose from a bedroom and want to fit a new light fitting

This is what came out...

And this is what's going back in ( The L/N I know are the wrong way round on this pic)

I presume I'm missing a live switch loop so could someone possibly give me an idiot's guide to what wire I need to connect to what as my brain is a bit fried and I want to make sure nothing else is

Many thanks in advance

Ant
epoch911
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:09 pm

The cores and sleeve colours pictured (pic1), indicate you have a switch line( black core, sleeved brown), a permanent live(brown core), a neutral(grey core, sleeved blue) and a CPC/Earth (yellow/green)

So what exactly was disconnected from this and does the switch for the original fitting operate anything else?
As this is not a standard wiring set up, for a ceiling rose that is a simple on/off function.
Do you have a means of testing for voltage? Something that can test two conductors, not a neon screwdriver please!
kbrownie

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!