Thermal fuse in a rice cooker...

Postby steveread999 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:01 pm

A few months back I bought a Cuisinart rice cooker / steamer. It gave good service until it blew its thermal fuse for no readily apparent reason. I've read a bit on this, and it seems that these fuses do this sometimes, as if the resin inside softens a bit every time the fuse gets semi-hot and eventually the widget inside the resin goes open-circuit.

I found a supplier of the right fuse in the right temperature rating, and now I'm looking for advice on how to make sure I don't blow the master RCD in the electrical box again (the fuse has live/neutral on it, the case is earthed, and I'm an idiot), nor melt the terminal block I put in to replace the fine-wire metal crimps.

The first question concerns the terminal block. I'm a little worried that I might have underspecified its temperature sensitivity, so I looked at alternatives. RapidOnline sells ceramic two-pole terminal blocks - would those be OK in these sort of temperatures?

The second question concerns sleeving to electrically isolate the bare wires of the fuse from the earthed casing. I had put the old sleeving back on the new fuse, but evidently not securely enough. What should I use to replace this? RapidOnline has a wide variety of sleeving and it's not super-obvious which is the best for this purpose.

Cheers...
steveread999

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby DIYorNot » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:19 pm

If the RCD is tripping, you have a separate problem.

Can you post photos of the fuse and where it is situated inside the rice cooker?
DIYorNot

Postby steveread999 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:26 am

The RCD problem was simply a stray contact between exposed metal that should not have been exposed. I found some suitable sleeving, and then ran across a separate problem with the end-of-cooking thermostat that would no longer work correctly. (Failed to keep cooking, hmpf.)
steveread999

Postby DIYorNot » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:02 pm

Is that the thermostat that switches from cook mode to stay-warm? If it isn't easy to repair, you may want to consider just buying a new rice cooker for safety's sake.
DIYorNot

Postby steveread999 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:18 am

DIYorNot wrote:Is that the thermostat that switches from cook mode to stay-warm? If it isn't easy to repair, you may want to consider just buying a new rice cooker for safety's sake.

Sorry, I should have said that I did just that, almost straight away.
steveread999

Sort by
Order by