Thermalite wall fixings - flat screen tv / heavy load

Postby Em » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:57 am

I have a 37" screen weighing 32kg with a 60cm swingarm weighing 6kg, to mount to a wall where the inner skin is 100mm thermalite blocks, with standard plaster render. The wall is a new sound construction, & I am able to tell where the joints are so I know I can fix into the body of the blocks. What is the best way of securely fixing to this? I have been told by one person that standard coachbolts with plugs will be sufficient, whilst someone else said that only Hilti chemical bolts wuld be strong enough - apparently they do a version specifically suited to composite blocks?

The trouble is, these solutions were both provided by people who thought they should work, but haven't actually done it!
Em

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby thedoctor » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:38 pm

You can buy special plugs for thermailite blocks Em and its not worth using anything else. We have seen a lot of jokers who suggest using wood screws straight into the blocks and all sorts of other weird and wonderful suggestions, but as you say, all from people who have never done it and do not have a clue. The correct method is a thermal block fixing and Plasplug make one.
thedoctor
Site Admin

Postby Em » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:26 pm

Thanks for the reply - are the plasplugs going to be up to supporting nearly 48kg of weight? The ones I've seen don't appear to be that big, & whilst I acknowledge size isn't everything, I thought I'd need something that goes further into the block....
Em

Sort by
Order by