THERMASTAT / CENTRAL HEATING PROBLEMS.

Postby DWEATHE » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi,

Any help with the below problem will be much apprecaited.
Firstly.. I have just bought an new house with gas central heating and with radiators around the house. Each radiator has a setting on it where it can be set at a setting between zero and six.
My problem is.. The heating doesn't appear to correspond with what the thermastat is set at. For example the thermastat might be set at zero, but the radiators will still be on.
I have queried this with the housebuilder and they advise that the thermastat only control the temp in the hallway where it is and doesnt control the temp of the rest of the house. To do this I need to adjust the setting of each individual radiator. Does this sound correct? or am I just being fobbed off??
In my old property if I reduced the temp on the thermastat to less than the current house temp then the radiators would all turn off and gradually the house temp would fall to be in line with the thermastat. Is this not how all central heating systems should work? Or is my housebuilder correct that i need to adjust individual radiators??
Any advice / confirmation on this issue would be most apprecaited.
Many thanks.
Dave
DWEATHE
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:18 pm

A modern boiler does not turn off and on like the old boilers but gives a variable output and only when it can’t go any lower does it switch off. So the boiler does not run in the summer months a thermostat placed where it is most affected by the outside temperature is used to switch off boiler as summer approaches.
Each radiator has two controls. One without a knob which once set should never need changing again and one which monitors the room temperature.
During commissioning the thermostatic radiator valves “TRV’sâ€
ericmark

Postby DWEATHE » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:45 am

Thanks very much for your help.
DWEATHE
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!