thermo shower - low cold water pressure

Postby renniec » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi

I had a new (triton) thermostatic mixer shower installed last yr. Hot water comes from the new-ish combi boiler and cold from a tank in the roof of the block of flats.

The hot water supply is great - hot and good pressure - but the cold water pressure is low, little more than a dribble when at the coldest setting.

I recently had an engineer from the manufacturer round to replace the shower valve due to scaling as it was sticking/stuck. He said that the flow problems were due to the high hot water pressure from the combi and low pressure from the cold water tank and that there was no way round this problem, regardless of shower type.

Does anyone know if this is right, or can anything be done to solve this problem?

I've seen references to pressure reducing valves - would it be worth fitting these to hot/cold water supply to the shower?

Thanks
renniec

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby tapworks121 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:05 am

[Try connecting the cold supply from the cold mains inlet, instead of the tank for the flats.
tapworks121

Postby htg engineer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:43 am

A thermostatic mixer shower is designed to work at mains pressure - which the hot already is. Get rid of the cold feed from the tank and supply the shower with mains cold water, that'll give you a good shower.

The kitchen taps and the combi boiler will be mains fed - so the closest to the bathroom will be the easiest to connect to.

Hope this helps
htg engineer

Sort by
Order by