Thermostat Electrics

Postby paul100 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:17 pm

This query might be related to the 'Electrics' forum, so I've posted the topic there too.

A few weeks ago when I turned on my hot water, the CH came on also. When I turned the hot water off, the CH remained on. A heating engineer called out, who said the electrics in the thermostat were old, in a poor state of repair and needed replacing. He advised that an electrician would need to do the work. However, when the electrician called out he said that it's a heating engineer's job. I'm stuck. I would have thought that replacing wires in a thermostat would be an electrician's responsibility. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
paul100
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:45 pm

see my reply on electrics forum, regards Sparx
sparx

Postby htg engineer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:08 am

The problem points to the actuator/3 port valve.

If the heating is working, the thermostat and wiring will probably be ok. As the thermostat calls for heat which will send a signal to the actuator to open for CH. Which it is doing.

I don't know many electricians that will work on central heating controls. They tend to work up to the fused spur - from the fused spur they tend to say it is a Heating Engineer's job. I have had many jobs passed to me where electricians couldn't or wouldn't do electrical work - not sure why, incapable or lazy ??

htg
htg engineer

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!