Thermostat setting for frost

Postby dazza123 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:24 pm

I have Honeywell T6360b room stat. Temp range from 10 to 30 deg. When I am away for a few days Iwould like to leave it on a frost setting but there isn't one, although the stat will move to below the 10 deg setting.
dazza123
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby plumbbob » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:06 pm

10 degrees is probably as low as you would want to allow a domestic dwelling to go during the winter. It is a question of protecting the contents from the effects of the cold and damp rather than stopping the pipes from freezing which is what a frost stat is designed to do.

A room stat cannot act as a frost stat because the latter is a special thermostat that is wired in such a way as to over ride the boiler and timer controls. The temperature is normally set to 3 degrees C.
plumbbob

Postby gisago » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi, when you go away you wont do any harm leaving the heating on continuos and the room thermostat left on 10 or just below. If you were to go away for a few months or so then i would suggest draining the whole system, but for just a few days you should be fine. Another tip if you are going away in cold weather is to leave your loft hatch ajar to stop pipes in the loft freezing.
Hope this helps.
gisago
Progress to next rank:
63.2%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!