Thermostat workings - Honeywell T6360B Needs Turning Right up

Postby anty » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Hello all,

Last time I looked at a thermostat (it's been a while!) I only needed the switch; now my Honeywell T6360B has suddenly started to need to be turned up to 25 instead of 16-17 to come on. I've never been sure what the heater inside is for, but might this be faulty?

What _is_ the heater for?

Thankyou - regards Ant
anty
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby proptech » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi Ant

The little heater in the thermostat is to anticipate the heat that will be emitted from a radiator after the switch has opened.
In other words, if the stat were to switch off at the set temp, the radiator will still be hot, and the room temp will still increase. The heater avoids this problem, and can make the stat surprisingly accurate.
The only correct way of checking is to place a thermometer near to the stat, and see what you get.
A lot of the latest stats work electronically, and have only two wires, the neutral not being required.
proptech
Progress to next rank:
71.7%

Postby anty » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:53 pm

Thankyou proptech, that makes sense - as one would expect of course!

The sudden error was due to a flimsy locating piece breaking off inside the knob, now corrected...

Regards Ant
anty
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!