Thermostatic bar mixer help

Postby DIYRob » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:23 pm

My Aqua lisa thermostatic mixer shower needs replacing and I'm skint so I bought a triton Bar mixer cheap to get me by for a couple of years

The instructions tell me that my hot water pipe needs to be on the left.

Currently it's on the right. :cry:

Can I just turn the mixer bar over and install it like that ? The outlet for the hose would be pointing upwards instead of downwards or will this cause any problems ?

Your help would be greatly recieved.
DIYRob
Progress to next rank:
68.4%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby plumbbob » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:42 pm

I got caught out with an Aqualisa shower with reversed supplies fairly recently, and I fit them for a job!

I don't see why the valve cannot be mounted upside down. Apart from the lettering being difficult to see, the only problem may be the hose because it points upwards, may become kinked.
plumbbob

Postby htg engineer » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:01 pm

The hot water should always be on the left to conform with regulations. There's many arguments why this is - but the main reason is for the disabled/partially sighted, to prevent them being scalded.

htg
htg engineer

Postby DIYRob » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:46 pm

thanks htg engineer,

But would the bar mixer still work ?

I asked Triton if it would work upside down, they said it would not mix.

I don't fully understand why it wouldn't but I won't try.

my current mixer shower still works fine with the hot on the right, it's just old and sticks a bit with all the hard water it's had to deal with over the years.

I suppose if I were to change the position of hot & cold, it would see me right for the future?

Chasing out the pipes and crossing them over is not going to be fun, and I'm not sure if the hot comes from above or below.

how much would a job to rectify this cost me approx?
DIYRob
Progress to next rank:
68.4%

Postby DIYRob » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:51 am

[quote="plumbbob"]I got caught out with an Aqualisa shower with reversed supplies fairly recently, and I fit them for a job!

I don't see why the valve cannot be mounted upside down. Apart from the lettering being difficult to see, the only problem may be the hose because it points upwards, may become kinked.[/quote]

Well, i might give it a try then........probably void the 5 yr guarantee, but for £60 i'll take my chances.

Cheers plumbbob
DIYRob
Progress to next rank:
68.4%

Postby rosebery » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:55 am

Where are the feeds? Do they come down from the roofspace? If so swap them over up there. If under the bath do it down there.

However, it is extremely unlikley that the new mixer valve will match the pipe work of the old irrespectve of whether the hot is on the right or the left. So you'll have to do some work but probably not a total repipe. Hope you've got some spare tiles around.

Cheers
rosebery

Postby DIYRob » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:13 pm

cheers Rosebery

Not quite sure, I think cold comes from above and hot from below.

I had the immersion and tank removed from the loft when i fitted the condensing boiler, so think that's where the cold comes from.
The new mixer fits exactly. I tried it today. It doesn't work with the hot and cold the wrong way round. I mounted it upside down and it does work, just looks a bit silly, and difficult to operate.

I suppose when I break up the tiles, i'll find out where the pipes run. Will the pipes be suspended, or will they be attached to anything??

Need new tiles anyway mine are awfull !!
DIYRob
Progress to next rank:
68.4%

Postby DIYRob » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Yay i found the hot and cold feeds up in the attic.

I turned the heating off so all the pipes were cold, then turned the shower on and found the hot one.

More help needed from HTG engineer and plumbbob please.......

The two pipes are about 2 inches apart, can I use flexible push fit hoses to do the crossover, or should they be welded ???

I can't do two offset bends, as they touch. Do i do an offset and a crossover ?
DIYRob
Progress to next rank:
68.4%

Postby htg engineer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:52 pm

How you connect the two pipes are up to you, use bends fittings, offsets etc etc whatever you feel is easier.

As you're training and will be doing gas pipework in people's homes soon, I think you'll be able to do better than pushfit hoses. Copper pipe/yorkshire fittings everytime (for me anyway).

htg
htg engineer

Postby plumbbob » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:49 pm

Don't use the braided flexible hoses they restrict the flow too much. You could use plastic Speedfit. The push on fittings are pretty much full bore.
plumbbob

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!