thermostatic bath shower mixer problem

Postby phantom » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:10 pm

I have a sirrus thermostatic bath shower mixer tap the problem is the shower thermostat control which also turns the shower on and off has broken it seems after a year of having problems fully closing it after showering it now wont close at all and ive had to shut off water at the mains, it control knob just spins loosley as if something inside is broken. any ideas or help or advice appreciated.

regards
Tom[/img]
phantom

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby marksimpkins » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:07 pm

Hi,

sounds like a TS1500 shower -
Plastic knob sounds like it has stripped the splines off due to overtightening, the fact that the valve is tight is due to a build up of limescale. Best plan is to strip down the brass body, descale the components in a kettle descaler fluid, replace the o-rings and re-grease with silicon grease. If you don't do this, the knob will fail again (and the dripping will not be eliminated).

If it's anything like my shower, replacing it with a completely new shower unit is a massive job - compared to about £40 worth of spare parts which will give you a shower that performs just like new. Beware that some parts may be difficult to dismantle and may require access to a vice.

I have dismantled this model of shower about three times (mines and a neighbours) and am happy to give further guidance if needed.

Good luck,

Mark.
marksimpkins

Sort by
Order by