Thermostatic shower not getting hot

Postby rp898 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:40 pm

I've recently had my bathroom refitted and that includes getting anew thermostatic shower put in. Unfortunately, ever since it's been fitted it only gets warm at best.

Just a bit of background information:
- The boiler is a combi and was fitted less than 4 months ago
- The water pressure is extremely good (jn fact I have turned it down)
- Other taps get extremely hot in the house
- The shower has a large square head and a secondary smaller shower (all off the same thermostat) neither of which get hot

Is this a common problem? Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thanks
rp898

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby plumbly » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:12 pm

hi there, have hot and cold feeds been connected to the shower correctly ie hot feed on the left cold on the right.
plumbly

Postby rosebery » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:23 pm

"I've recently had my bathroom refitted.............."

In which case and you are not satisfied get the installer back to sort it out and if it's his fault - at his cost!!!

Cheers
rosebery

Postby plumbbob » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:01 pm

There could be a couple of possibilities worth considering.

The valve often has a stop which prevents the temperature being increased to the point it may scald. If this is not set correctly, it may simply be a matter of adjusting the temperature control to allow a higher setting. Each valve is different so consult the instructions. It is usually not difficult.

A point that is more difficult to check is, some valves when fitted to combi's need flow reducing rings fitting to the cold input to balance unequal pressures. Again this should be mentioned in the installation instructions, but the downside is, it isn't possible to physically check without disconnecting the valve.
plumbbob

Postby rosebery » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:17 am

"The valve often has a stop which prevents the temperature being increased to the point it may scald. If this is not set correctly, it may simply be a matter of adjusting the temperature control to allow a higher setting. Each valve is different so consult the instructions. It is usually not difficult."

So the installer has not properly explained how things work!

"A point that is more difficult to check is, some valves when fitted to combi's need flow reducing rings fitting to the cold input to balance unequal pressures. Again this should be mentioned in the installation instructions, but the downside is, it isn't possible to physically check without disconnecting the valve."

So the installer has possibly not fitted it correctly!

In either case I suggest my previous post applies.

Cheers
rosebery

Postby htg engineer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:51 pm

As Rosebery says, calling the installer may be worth a try.

But........... if the installer didn't or couldn't do it properly the first time, will/can they do it right when they come back ???

Personally i'd rather give it a go myself than invite someone back into my property if you feel that they're not competent.

I'd go with .....

"The valve often has a stop which prevents the temperature being increased to the point it may scald. If this is not set correctly, it may simply be a matter of adjusting the temperature control to allow a higher setting. Each valve is different so consult the instructions. It is usually not difficult."

- this seems to be the problem, As you've said all the other taps work.

Hopefully this will solve the problem.

htg
htg engineer

Postby rosebery » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:36 pm

"But........... if the installer didn't or couldn't do it properly the first time, will/can they do it right when they come back ???"

Do they not have an obligation if they undertake a task for payment that the workmanship and any materials supplied are guaranteed? Would you attempt to fix a Friday car yourself although still under warranty?

"Personally i'd rather give it a go myself than invite someone back into my property if you feel that they're not competent."

Agree but in that case they should either not have been paid or reported to trading standards. Too many people out there, spurs jangling, horse in the yard giving tradesmen a bad name.

Sorry if I'm being a bore on this subject.

Cheers
rosebery

Sort by
Order by