Thermostatic shower plumbed wrong way round

Postby simba » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:04 am

I have had a bathroom refit carried out and on finishing, the plumber has told me that he plumbed the thermostatic shower the wrong way round. I cannot set a good temperature with the shower - either ice cold or scalding. Is this because of the 'wrong way round' issue? Plumber says not. It's a Triton Alessa Thermostatic Mixer shower. The whole thing is tiled in now so could be a nightmare to put right.
simba

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:02 am

The hot and cold have to be the correct way for the shower to work correctly.

Is there no way of switching the pipes around under the bath or in the loft etc ??? there must be an easier way than taking tiles off.
htg engineer

Postby simba » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:08 am

No idea. It's an ensuite shower off a bedroom - I could check where the pipes come in I suppose but not hopeful too be honest. Any other solutions? Can you replace the valve or something???
simba

Postby stevenc1603 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:02 pm

What's on the other side of the wall from the shower?

If its just a plasterboard wall knock through on that side rather than have to remove all the tiles etc.

However the other suggestion is also a good one. At some point the pipes will be somewhere that they can be switched over whether it be in the loft or under the floor somewhere.
stevenc1603

Postby htg engineer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Replacing the valve wont work as they will all be the same way round - It is the very basics of plumbing and every plumber SHOULD know that the hot pipe is always on the left - whether it's a pair or taps, mixer tap or shower.

If the plumber you employed got this wrong - i'd think twice about employing him again.

At the end of the day it's the plumbers fault - therefore he should sort it as his expense you employed him expecting him to know what he was doing and he's balls it up.

Get him back and ask him to sort it - I know I wouldn't be trying to put right or paying to put right something that I payed a professional to do - it's his problem.

Hope this helps
htg engineer

Postby simba » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:36 pm

Well you will be pleased to hear I got him back to fix it and he did, after some wrangling. Whilst fixing he also managed to snap the head off the (previously fine) gate valve to the hot feed. When I told him to replace it he said 'I suppose if I knocked on your door and it fell off I would have to fix that too'. Hmmm. Great attitude. Many a previous tradesman I have used for other things have replaced simple breakages like this at the drop of a hat, and I've ended up bunging them a few quid for it as i like their attitude. If anybody living in the Milton Keynes area would like to know who to avoid, I will tell you off forum!
simba

Postby htg engineer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:27 pm

Glad he sorted it - quite common for the gate valves to sheer off so debatable whether he was responsible for that repair. I agree he should have repaired it - but not necessarily at his expense.

Having said that if you're careful with the valves then you normally get away with turning them off - so maybe he was abit heavy handed.
htg engineer

Sort by
Order by