All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dandelion
Labourer
Labourer

Thermostatic shower

by Dandelion » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi there,

I'm currently looking at getting a thermostatic shower fitted, but I've been advised against this as the site for the shower will be on the end wall of my property. I understand this theory if I put a concealed shower valve in, but is it possible to put an exposed shower valve in without having to go into the end wall?

I'm just tryin to find out what is the best shower option available for me so would appreciate your advice and expertise!

Thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Thermostatic mixer showers are a must if being used in conjunction with a combi boiler.

I can't see why anyone would advise against this, an exposed valve can go anywhere you want it to. If you don't want to chase the pipes into a wall, then chrome pipes coming up or down from the loft really don't look bad.

Also worth considering (this is what I have, and would recommend it ) http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/mira- ... -excel.jpg

htg

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:00 pm

"I'm currently looking at getting a thermostatic shower fitted, but I've been advised against this as the site for the shower will be on the end wall of my property."

Why would that be? - the advice I mean.

"I understand this theory if I put a concealed shower valve in,"

Not sure I do frankly.

"but is it possible to put an exposed shower valve in without having to go into the end wall?"

Yes of course but you then have to decide whether to have the pipes chased into the wall as opposed to the pipes and the valve (for a concealed unit) or to have exposed chrome pipes and have it all surface mounted as HE has suggested.

If you decide to go for a BSM make sure its the thermostatic variety like the one in HEs link and not just a common or garden "mix it in the body of the tap" type.

BTW personally I think a thermostatic valve is a must whether you have a combi or a system boiler

Cheers

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:38 pm

I think the point being made here is you can't install a built in valve (BIV) in an external wall because the hole required to conceal the valve would break into the cavity between the internal and external walls.

Certainly an exposed valve (EV) can be fitted in any position, and the supply pipes can be chased into the wall and hidden behind the tiles.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:05 am

"I think the point being made here is you can't install a built in valve (BIV) in an external wall because the hole required to conceal the valve would break into the cavity between the internal and external walls."

Yes I suspect you are right but I've learned not to second guess what peeps are asking about - particularly when they seem to be being enigmatic!

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:52 pm

'BTW personally I think a thermostatic valve is a must whether you have a combi or a system boiler'

I agree, the reason I specified combi, is because as we all know with a combi, reducing the flow rate at the tap increases the water temperature.
If someone uses the cold water tap and the flow through the boiler is reduced you could be scalded. Whereas a system boiler the hot and cold water are stored so the flow shouldn't be interrupted and therefore a constant temperature can normally be maintained.

htg

Dandelion
Labourer
Labourer

by Dandelion » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi, thanks v much for your responses- I think that answers what I needed to know! Sorry if my questions were enigmatic- I'm not a tradesperson so wasn't sure whether what I was told was correct or not- hence the reason i asked ur advice! Thanks v much again!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:49 pm

seems like a real backward step NOT to install a thermostatic shower!!!!

one option if you want to have a concealed valve is to fix it to solid wall the box floor to ceiling around it then tile. assumes you have room to lose, box work will usually build the shower cubicle out by around 4 inches.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:51 am