thermostatic valve fault

Postby dianecade » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:23 pm

My radiators almost all have thermostatic valves on them. Two of them have decided to be either raging hot or freezing cold....with nothing in between. Even if I set them to frost setting they are too hot to touch! Any ideas?
dianecade
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby DONFRAMAC » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:48 am

There is usually a needle-valve lurking inside the unit. The adjustable part of the valve-head can usually be removed, to gain access to the needle, which likely needs freeing-off with the aid of fluid like WD40 or Plusgas, or even electrical lube like Ambersil. After a soaking period, I usually push the flat exposed end of the needle with the side of a pair of pliers, to exercise it, then refit the adjustable head after unscrewing it, and sussing out how it engages with the needle housing, because it WILL have only a few orientations that it can fit on, so I choose one which shows the scale clearly.
Sometimes there is hard scale inside the needle seat, and some brave people have been known to try to use impact to break this, at some risk to the shape of the needle.
DONFRAMAC
Progress to next rank:
96.7%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!