Thermostatic valve on shower problem

Postby whinger69 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:26 am

I have a bristan artisan thermostatic valve installed to my shower. The problem is that when it is turned to max temp the water is still only lukewarm thought he water coming out of the taps is piping hot. I have taken the temp control off and turned the spindle round to max and the temp control on the cylinder is up full. I know it is probably tjust how the valve works but i wonder is ther someway of adjusting it further to increase water temp? Appreciate any help
whinger69

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:34 pm

Try removing and cleaning the filters, could be limescale in the filters on the hot water side meaning there's more cold water than hot getting through.
htg engineer

Postby Ritchieg7 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:53 pm

I also have a Bristan mixer shower that will only give me luke warm water even though the water at the inlet pipe is scalding,I have found a fix in that if I loosen the hose outlet and "bleed" water out of the manifold,I then get hot water.I have to do this everytime I use the shower. I would love to know why this problem has developed,the shower used to work perfectly well?
Ritchieg7

Postby RoverGeo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:26 pm

[quote="Ritchieg7"]I also have a Bristan mixer shower that will only give me luke warm water even though the water at the inlet pipe is scalding,I have found a fix in that if I loosen the hose outlet and "bleed" water out of the manifold,I then get hot water.I have to do this everytime I use the shower. I would love to know why this problem has developed,the shower used to work perfectly well?[/quote]

Hi,
I've just found your post and joined the forum to find out if you managed to solve this problem. We had our bathrooms refirbished in summer and had 2 Bristan Artisan showers fitted, both showers have this problem, which is intermitent but gradually gets worse with time (old showers worked OK with similar installation).
We have had an Engineer from Britsan out and he has changed the thermostats, but problem returns within a couple of weeks. The showers are gravity fed, with 1.5 m from bottom of feeder tank to shower head (Bristan claim only need 1.0 m). I think the problem is with the hot water pressure, because if move shower head down to ground then sometines get hot water (also sounds like air coming out the shower head), but hot water goes when raise up to normal height .
I am thinking of fitting a pump, but wondered if there is a simpler cheaper fix. Is there any filters I can clean, as I live in hard water area, but supprised if systems fouls within matter of weeks? Any help much appreciated.
Thanks Geo
RoverGeo

Postby RoverGeo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi,

Have you managed to get your shower working OK, as I have same problem on 2 of these showers which replaced working showers?

Thanks Geo
RoverGeo

Postby Ritchieg7 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:34 pm

Apologies for not replying sooner,have only just returned to work after xmas and found E mail.
I still have to bleed the shower to get any hot water,the problem only occured after I fitted new seals to the cartridge, and I have always wondererd if the problem could have been caused by the seals being fitted the wrong way round or in the correct order.
I am now in the process of getting quotes for a new central heating system,changeing from a back boiler to a combi.It appears that my shower might be no good after the conversion as it will be working off mains pressure rather than a header tank,so the problem is likely to resolved with the purchase of a complete new cartridge,one that is designed for mains pressure.
Ritchieg7

Postby RoverGeo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks for reply. I took my thermostat out and cleaned off some scale, then re-greased. Could there also be a build up in mixer tube? Bristan recommend removing and putting in hot water & vinegar to remove hard water scale. This will be a pain if I have to do this every month. Next time I'll check stainer & non return valve, as sometimes hot & cold both warm before use shower (think from natural circulation).
RoverGeo

Postby TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:27 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.
TheDoctor5
Site Admin

Sort by
Order by