Thermostatic valves not working as expected

Postby pinkle » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:23 pm

Hello
I've just moved into a new house and we have thermostatic valves on many of the radiators. I've never had these before so I Googled, and found how they are supposed to work. From what I read, if you want the radiator turned off, you set the thermostatic valve to the frost setting which looks like a snowflake. This will mean it only comes on if it gets freezing. I live in east London - it never gets freezing, but the radiators all come on full blast despite being set to the frost setting.

All the radiators with these valves seem to be acting the same way. The guy who used to live here was a plumber as well!

My expertise with radiators goes as far as bleeding them and that's it. Any assistance would be very much appreciated!

Cheers
Pinkle
pinkle
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby The Heating Doctor » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:05 pm

The snow flake setting is not an off position, but a frost protection setting which will let the radiators come on until the room they are installed in reaches about 5 deg C depending on the manufacturer. How ever as I would have thought it rare this autumn for the temperature to have droped that far I think you may have Sticking valves, what manufacturer are the valves and approx age?
The Heating Doctor
Progress to next rank:
4.7%

Postby pinkle » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:07 pm

Thank you for replying.
I'm uncertain of the age of the valves as we have only just moved into the house and they were here already. They don't look that old though, if that's any help.
The manufacturer is Drayton.

Thanks again
Pinkle
pinkle
Progress to next rank:
75%

Postby The Heating Doctor » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:20 pm

Unscrew the valve head and try to move the pin back and forward, dont pull too hard or you will pull the pin all the way out (not good). The drayton TRV3 & 4 valves have a shut off position which is before the snowflake. TRV3 & 4 have a chrome dome to them. If the pins wont move you can get replacement glands for the TRV's from a plumbers merchants.
The Heating Doctor
Progress to next rank:
4.7%

Postby pinkle » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:15 pm

Thank you, I will have a go at it this weekend!
pinkle
pinkle
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!