Thermostatic Valves

Postby nicksheehan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:23 pm

Hi,
I have recently had installed two new thermostatic valves to two new radiators. The problem is I'm not sure they are working correctly.

They have positions/settings marked on them from 1-5, but they only work when the setting is between 4 and 5. If I adjust the setting to between 3 and 4 or lower the radiator will go stone cold (even in winter). Is there an adjustment to these valves (honeywell) or is this how they are supposed to work? It seems pointless to have settings 1-5 when 1-4 do not actually do anything. The radiators bleed OK (no air comes out -only water)

Thank you for your time.
Nick Sheehan
nicksheehan

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Kenj » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:48 pm

Have you connected the TRV's to the Flow piping? Most TRV's are designed to be connected to the Flow and and do not work as efficiently if connected to the Return.
I have not used Honeywell TRV's, but this certainly applies to Drayton, who are one of the major TRV manufactirers.
For what it worth I have found Wickes TRV's to be both cheaper and more reliable than Drayton. Also the Wickes TRV's can be connected to either the Flow or Return pipework.
Kenj

Postby Perry525 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:44 pm

Surely the point of a thermostatic valve is to control the temperature in a given space.
The numbers on a valve are only a guide.
With valves I've used, I could adjust the internal settings so that the same number on the valve would provide the temperature I required, albeit that the amount of hot water was more or less.
Does the radiator heat the room to the required temperature?
Have you opened the lock shield valve, is it still set as previous?
Perry525

Sort by
Order by