Thermostats

Postby rob33 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:02 am

Hi,

My central heating system has thermostats on each radiator and controlled just by a timer in the airing cupboard.
I want to fit a thermostat to it but the timer also controls the hot water.
Whats the best way to fit a thermostat to my existing system ?

Cheers Rob
rob33
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:42 pm

Modern boilers don't switch on and off like the old boilers did but they measure the return water temperature and adjust the output to suit. This keeps all rooms at the correct temperature. But in the summer you may not want it to run so a thermostat either outside or in a place that monitors outside temperature can be used to shut down boiler in the summer. There is normally a link wire which you can remove to fit it. But the old idea of a room thermostat no longer works as they can only switch boiler off and on and can't adjust the flame like the radiator type do. If you do want a thermostat outside then maybe the radio type will be easier to fit? If you want a timer for central heating there are thermostats with timers built in which you can program to come on twice a day on week days and once a day on weekends and are very cheap. You have given no system details so of course it may be different for you?
ericmark

Postby billobach181 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:58 am

I have Gloworm 30Ci Combi and I also have a Hard Wired Room Stat at one end of the House [Extension Area] and a Radio Controlled Thermostat in the main part of the house. I also have Thermostatic Valves on Some of the Rads but not all. With my system I can choose which part of the house I can heat up. The Radio Controlled Thermostat operates a Motorised Valve and the Hard Wired Thermostat just turns boiler on or off depending on heat demand in the extention. It's been operating for three years and [touch wood] I have had no problems with it. I think the Radio Controlled Thermostat is great - no wiring to run to the boiler which is 12 m away.
Bill
billobach181
Progress to next rank:
25.3%

Postby Perry525 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:53 pm

Perhaps you would like to tell us the make and model of your boiler?
Then we may be able to help.
Perry525
Progress to next rank:
46.8%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!