Thick Magnolia Paint and Mud Cracking Effect How to Fix
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ShelleyRL
Labourer
Labourer

Thick Magnolia Paint and Mud Cracking Effect How to Fix

by ShelleyRL » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi,

I am going to be redecorating my bathroom, but I have a problem. At some point the person who lived here previously had a bright purple bathroom, then someone has slapped on a couple of thick coats of magnolia which has cracked.

I want to paint over it but am aware that the same thing is likely to happen. I have stripped a quarter of one wall with a paint stripper heated gun which took me what feels like forever, I have a medical condition with my shoulder called adhesive capsulitis so stripping paint for hours and hours leaves me in quite a lot of pain.

What are my options? Could I fill the cracks with a fine filler or is there some sort of sealer I could use and then fill, if so how would I go about it and can any one recommend what products to use?

Thank you in advance :)

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Thick Magnolia Paint and Mud Cracking Effect How to Fix

by greengrass » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:39 pm

My guess they are cracks in plaster filled dry so re- opened. Open crack twice its width dampen with water using brush/sponge. Fill slightly proud with filler leave to dry then lightly sand flat. Then using a little water thin a small amount of the emulsion you are using coat the patch at least twice allow each to dry. Then go for it over whole wall two coats without thinning. wrap roller/ brush in cling film /plastic bag between coats while waiting first coat to dry.
Its a pain but worth it, as most patches if done properly are virtually
un-noticeable. You could also mix thinned emulsion with filler to act as a dye.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:08 am