Thickness of wire

Postby gymark2002 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:57 am

Checking the wiring in my New house and I have noticed that the cable that runs to one of the sockets is much chunkier than the standard, I am guessing it is Electric shower cable maybe a 4.0 or 6.0, of course I will be changing this piece of cable as quickly as possible but wanted to know whether the socket was unusable till that time and what were the problems with using it if any, as I have no idea when it was fitted and I have been using this socket for about 3 months.
Thanks
gymark2002
Progress to next rank:
36.8%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Stephen the sparks » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:11 pm

We assume that when you say new house, it is not newly built or wired.

A larger cable could possibly be an old cooker cable that has been put into service with a socket outlet on it. This would not be a problem
Stephen the sparks
Progress to next rank:
21.1%

Postby gymark2002 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:41 am

New house to me, the house is 1950's,
thanks I was concerned that the wire would causing shorting or heating problems.
Thank you for the reply
gymark2002
Progress to next rank:
36.8%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!