this is a tough one been going on for 7 years
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sukilou
Labourer
Labourer

by sukilou » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:41 pm

hi all

where to start

3storey town house
boiler ground floor 35 years old (IDEAL E-TYPE)
thermostat 1st floor

hot water works fantastic

radiators
been bled,drained system, pour stuff in try to balance them every year or so

still they dont work properly

at the mo we have got all closed except the lounge which is about 10ft long and that is now going colder by the hour

we have no money inorder to replace the system

The pump was replaced about 3 yrs ago and is working great

All help would be appreciated and further advice from the people who helped last year would be fantastic

i will not let this beat me

thanks louise xx

oh ps when balancing the rads seem to be connected backwards

:roll:

coaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

by coaster » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:16 pm

replace the radiator valves very cheap will cure all

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:58 am

Is the hot water gravity fed? If not, is the restrictor valve open too far allowing all the heated water to circulate just the hot water part?

Is there a bypass valve fitted anywhere, which is again open too far allowing the water to short circuit the heating system?

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:41 pm

First of all, the Ideal E-Type looks as if it will go on forever! There are lots about, plenty of spares and many in their late twenties early thirties are still going strong.
Your problem. The Grundfos 15-60 is designed for a maximum hight of 5 meters (16 foot 3 ish) You say its only two years old, I suggest fitting a similar pump at about 4 meters to help carry the load to the top radiators.
You didn't mention the distance between the Grundfos and the top of the highest radiator but I imagine it is around 7 meters?
After seven years of miserable winters I imagine you have tried everything.But!
Try turning off all the radiators except the very nearest to the boiler and the highest, turn the boiler stat and room stats up to maximum and starting at the back of the boiler check the temperature of the pipe it should become too hot to touch very quickly keep the other hand on the return pipe and see it it too becomes too hot to touch.
If there is a clear run to the first radiator and back to the boiler the radiator will quickly become too hot to touch.
If there is an open by pass valve that is short circuiting the pipework you will soon be able to track it down.
If the water can't circulate because the pump can't cope or the pipes/rads need cleaning -then add pump, clean/flush.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1