Thread locking fluid for nut and bolt
Fillers, sealants and adhesives for all types of DIY work. Help, advice and information on all aspects of this subject

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
duffpaddy
Labourer
Labourer

Thread locking fluid for nut and bolt

by duffpaddy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:10 pm

I moved into a new block of flats of November last year and decided to get a bicycle so I could commute to work. The developer who built the flats provided a communal cycle store in the basement of our building for use by residents. This is rally useful as my flat is quite small and it has afforded me more space within the flat itself. Unfortunately, the developer of the building did not make the immovable bike stands immovable because a couple of thieves were smart enough to realise that the nuts which were securing the stand to the ground could be unscrewed. This is a massive oversight by the builders because if a thief were to somehow gain access to the cycle store, all the bikes attached to the cycles stands could be removed by taking the cycle and the stand to which it is attached away!!!

I've finally got round to buying a new bike however I'm not totally comfortable leaving my bike in the cycle store. Whilst it is more secure than it was previously, the "immovable" bike stands are definitely now. In order to make the bike stands a little more secure I have been investigating ways in which to make it more difficult to remove the nuts securing the bike stand.

I've been reading a little bit about thread locking fluid however I'm not entirely clear what it's properties are and whether it is in fact the stuff that I am looking for. From what I understand, it is a fluid that helps screws/nuts from shaking loose and it can also prevent threads shearing under extremely high pressure as the combination of locking fluid and nut is extremely strong. Despite having such strenght it is possible to be able to disassemble the nut from the screw in some cases as the fluid doesn't always bond the nut and screw together. So my questions are:

Has anyone used a thread locking fluid before?

Can thread locking fluids come in a more permanent variety such the the nut and the screw become bonded together and cannot be separated very easily?

Thanks,
J

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:18 am

duffpaddy,
You'd be better getting the top of the threads welded to the nuts.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:33 am