Tile edging
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CAnderson
Labourer
Labourer

Tile edging

by CAnderson » Thu May 28, 2009 11:29 am

Hello, I am moving into a brand new property soon and it is already tiled. They've done a good job, but there is no edging on any of the tiling which makes it looks really odd. Does anyone know what can be done about this as it does look unfinished? I have no DIY experience so would have to get someone in to do it. Thank you.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 pm

CAnderson,
I think there is a paint available from tiling shops to coat the edge of tiles.
Otherwise the tiles will have to be removed to allow an edging to be fitted.
end

CAnderson
Labourer
Labourer

by CAnderson » Sat May 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Thanks for that very definitive answer! I will probably have to live with the unfinished look for a while and do the paint thing in the meantime. Cheers.

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Sun May 31, 2009 8:57 pm

If the corners look really odd, they have not done a really good job.
Can you not "snag" the property before moving in.
Have a look at the other properties on the site if there are any, and see if they are all the same.
I am sure you are paying good money for the property, and dont see why you should have to live with something, that is not done properly.
A retention is not out of order for snagging
HTH

tilewize
Labourer
Labourer

by tilewize » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:44 pm

you can cut the back edge of tile trim-the bit that goes behind the tile using a Stanley knife then silicon it to the tiles then grout the gap between the tile and trim had to do this a few times and if done properly looks as if it has always been there - you could ask the builder to this for you and am sure they would be happy to help you - i have worked for house builders for the last 8 yrs and lately in times like these they're very eager to keep the customer happy as not many houses are being sold on new developments

www.tileexperience.co.uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

by www.tileexperience.co.uk » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:51 pm

how about having a go at this yourself? us diyers all started somewhere.

put masking tape at the edge of the tile, masking tape on the wall, leaving 5mm or so between the 2. get some good silicone and run a bead along the gap. wet your finger, smooth it out, then remove the tape about 10 minutes later.
not many trims are good fitted retro, but a silicone bead will look pretty smart.
give it a go, worst that could happen is you don't like it. in which case let it dry, for 24 hrs then peel it back off.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:06 pm