Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hothead
Labourer
Labourer

tiles layed on gripfill??

Post by hothead » Thu May 15, 2008 7:27 am

Hi People

I have just found my builder has put our tiles down on gripfill in our kitchen which is concrete and our bathroom upstairs which is chipboard. He says it is better i say no chance it should be bed on adhesive and pva solution layed first. How do you reacon it should be done. Thanks in advance

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon May 19, 2008 1:25 am

Your builder isn't a tiler is he?

He's wrong - the proper adhesive should have been used in both cases and never tile direct over chipboard floor. If he's just laid the chipboard before tiling then he's cutting corners to save money - should have used WPB ply.

Problem is - are you going to get him to change it? If you make one hell of a stink it's possible. If he digs his heels in say you want a written 10 year guarantee that his methods are OK and watch his face.

Cheers

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Thu May 22, 2008 9:29 pm

I'm totally with Rosebery here.

The trouble is the floor in my opinion will fail quite quickly, but the cost of putting it right will be great, but needs to be done!

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

Post by stevenc1603 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:17 am

Definately needs to have used a proper tiling adhesive and the chipboard floor needs to have a ply layer on it too as the others have mentioned.

Also, don't use PVA. It will cause more problems than the gripfil!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:49 pm

absolutely not the way to do it. if he has done it that way then i'd imagine that he's only dotted the adhesive in the corners as well - floor tiles in particular need to have a good bed underneath. any voids and they can easily break when walked on.

also the chances of the gripfill failing is high, especially if the tiles and floor were not sealed - the backs of tiles can be quite dusty and a decent grab may not have been achieved. this is not the job that gripfill was ever intended for.

don't tile over chipboard - put a layer of WBP ply over the top. and use latex adhesive, not pva (thanks to rosebery who has made me aware of this on previous posts!)

if i were you i wouldn't pay him until he has come up with a solution.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:30 pm