Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Francophile
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tiles or Vinyl

by Francophile » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:17 pm

Hello all,

I have a barn conversion in France with around 150 m² of flooring to install. The floor is 100 mm concrete over 200 mm well compacted limestone, 50 mm polystyrene slab and a top quality DPM. Laid more than a year ago, solid and as dry as a bone. The floor is perfectly level but was not screeded; there are a few tamping ripples but on the whole it is fairly flat.

Due to an error reading the specs. (dimensions) of the French doors, the floor was finished too high. We had wanted solid oak flooring but cannot accommodate the thickness; we have about 15 mm clearance under the doors. Replacing the doors is not an option - six sets of ready hung, solid oak French doors....very, very expensive.

It looks as though 6 mm WBP plywood and top quality vinyl (e.g. Amtico or Karndean) will be the answer but we would much prefer proper tiles.

A good example of the look we are after would be ‘Castle Travertine’ from B&Q (yes, I know) which, I believe, are ceramic and around 9 mm thick -pushing it I would think. The main room is 100 m² so small tiles would look awful. Is there a type of thinner, larger format tiles that would do the job? I’m nearly 70 and do not want to be doing this again in a few years time so, proper job.

Thanks in advance

Read more: http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic. ... z1V0LXOsfL

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

flooring

by welsh brickie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:24 am

I think you will need to lay a self level compound first,to remove the ripples,thats 3mm-5mm,The tiles are up to personal preferance,but I have used 450mmx450mm size tiles at 8mm thickness.Plus the tile adhesive 5mm,plus self level compound gives you a overall thickness of 20mm.
Or you can use heavy duty laminate flooring 9mm thick instead with 3mm underlay gives you 12mm.
I think the laminate will be better for the clearance under the door.

Francophile
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Francophile » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:52 pm

Diolch yn fawr

Many thanks, much appreciated.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:54 pm