Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
oscarvaughan
Labourer
Labourer

Tiles to bath

by oscarvaughan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:25 pm

hi all,
Sorry to repeat a question that appears to have been asked before.

I have read that when tiling around the bath, you push the bath in first then tile the last row down to it.
Why?
It appears to be much easier to tile past the bath lip, then push the bath to the tiles and fill with sealant.
or am I missing something???

Thanks again

Paul

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:38 am

Actually your question (although similar to others) hasn't been asked in the recent past so no need to apologise.

Yes you are - missing something that is. If you push the bath to the tiles and the wall isn't true and square with the adjacent wall (which it won't be in either case) then you'll end up with one end nicely sitting on the tiles and then an increasing gap in towards the corner.

Same problem on the other side as well.

You'll never satisfactorily or aesthetically fill any gap more than about 5mm with silicone sealant - although for larger gaps (if they can't be avoided) I do tend to bung some gripfill in first on a space occupancy basis.

Also the wider the gap you are trying to silicone the more likely that it will fail at some time in the future and the more likely you'll make a complete bog of it.

Hope that helps.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:45 pm

There is another point too. When the walls are tiled, the tiles lay on the side of the bath giving a stronger seal, and it is more difficult for the water to escape should the silicone seal fail slightly.

oscarvaughan
Labourer
Labourer

by oscarvaughan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:39 pm

thanks
Will do it the corrt way then

Paul

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:55 pm