Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
damian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tiling a window recess

by damian » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:57 am

Hi.
I am about to start tiling my kitchen and have a question I hope someone can help me with.
I am using 100mm x 100mm tiles and am only going 5 rows high as a splash area.

There are 2 windows on the wall that I have to tile around, and I've worked out the best layout I can using a home made gauge (a piece of wood!).
The problem I have is what to do for the best when tiling in to the recess of the windows.
When you tile the external corner of the window recess do you start with a full tile or do you just use the offcut from the adjacent tile on the main wall?
A couple of the offcuts are going to be quite quite small slithers and I'm wondering if these will look unsightly.
However, the other 2 offcuts will be about half a tile width so I'm wondering if starting with a full tile on the recess will look too big.

Is there a rule that tilers always follow in these circumstances apart from get somebody else to do it? :lol:

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Damian

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:32 am

Cuts should go against the window Damian and if they are only slithers its better to put two cuts in with the join down the centre line of the recess.

damian
Apprentice
Apprentice

by damian » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:41 am

....so do you mean all the window recesses are supposed to be tiled to look the same regardless of how much tile is left on the main wall?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:13 am