tiling exterior pathway... need help
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fusion
Labourer
Labourer

tiling exterior pathway... need help

by fusion » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi all. I plan on tilling my pathway leading up to my front door. I was going to pour 100mm of concrete and screed it, leave it to cure for three days, then prime concrete with pva mix before tilling with ceramic tiles.
Does this sound right to you? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated... especially on the pva priming/concrete curing time
Thanks in advance

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:57 pm

fusion,
Forget the pva and use cement based tile adhesive.
end

fusion
Labourer
Labourer

by fusion » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks stoney,
Have another question regarding the spacers -
Have seen it done two ways... spacers upright and on each edge, and then also seen it done with the spacers laid flat, on the corners of tile, and then grouted over.
The second way seems much quicker for laying in a diamond formation.
Any problem with laying them flat and then grouting over?

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

by toplondonchef » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:58 pm

Hi Fusion

Tile spacers are designed to be used flat and at the corner junctions of tiles, left in place and grouted over so no problems there
This works well when all tiles are of an even size

Some natural stone tiles are not cut perfectly square, so using the spacers flat at the corners throws out the tiling line and leads to problems
Have laid 100mm stone floor tiles which can be very uneven but look superb and found best way is to use 4mm spacers, standing upright but placed around the edge of the tile at a suitable position so as to leave the tile "square" (hope that makes sense) Leave spacers in position for 24 hours or according to tile adhesive instructions

Regards and good luck

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:15 pm