Tiling onto plasterboard in bathroom
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
spacejam9
Labourer
Labourer

Tiling onto plasterboard in bathroom

Post by spacejam9 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi Im about to put up new plasterboad walls in bathroom and wish to tile directly onto them (not skimmed) Is this ok? Would I need to seal/ or treat the booards in any way before tiling. Also would normal plasterboard be ok or should I be using something else ? Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:59 pm

spacejam9
your are okay to tile on to plasterboard, the problem is when it comes time to change the tiles, removing them is hard work and damages the plasterboard.
I tend to fix hardboard over the plasterboard that is being tiled, so when the time comes to replace them, it's an easier knock off.
KB

wws4029
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by wws4029 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:10 pm

There is a proper product to do this job. Hardibacker board, which is available from most good merchants. A little bit like asbestos sheets ( but isn't asbestos) comes in a range of thicknesses and is waterproof unlike plasterboard. Plasterboard can be used to do the job, but would seriously recomend skimming as waterproofing issues and removing to replace in the future would be a lot easier.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:35 pm