Tiling over a disused light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
addler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tiling over a disused light switch

Post by addler » Tue May 27, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi

We originally had two single light switches in our utility room and when the electrician was is we asked him to put a double light switch in instead. He did this and put a blank plate where the other one was. We now want to fully tile the utility room and I want to tile over the area where the blank plate is - can I do this by removing the blank plate and putting a tile over or are there any special flat plates that I could use.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Tue May 27, 2008 4:01 pm

It will depend if there are any wires in the disused box. In order to identify where wires run one has to leave the blanking visable. Or of course completly remove the wires.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue May 27, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi addler,
The regulation insist that cables should be run in what is called permitted cable routes.
This is why your electrician has put a blank plate on this box. Unless you re-route the cable you will not be allowed to just tile over it. As the route of the cable will then not be visabilly noticable. One day you may or someother poor sole, decide to put a shelf up or some fixing that means drilling through the tiles, what's to tell them that there is an electrical circuit routed beneath the tiles? Nothing if you tile over this plate. You can buy longer MS screws so you can replace the plate after tilling, the other thing is that the cables will be jointed at this box and it offers an inspection point so it's easy to check for loose connection and repair if nessessary if a fault occurs there.
Kind Regards
KB

addler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by addler » Wed May 28, 2008 12:34 pm

That's dissappointing, I will have to leave it be then and tile around.

Thanks for your advice.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:39 am

addler - the above only applies if there are still live wires in the box you want to tile over - if so, you could pay an electrician to remove the wire. this might mean chopping the wire out of the wall but if you are going to tile it anyway...

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:52 am