Tiling & tiling
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lizab
Labourer
Labourer

Tiling & tiling

by lizab » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:17 am

I have a gap about 5mm from the tiles and the shower tray... my tiler surgest filling this in with silicone.. I am not to happy about this in case there are probs with leaks ... I noticed a post from someone with similar probs , but with a gap between bath and wall tile..of about 10mm, stacks of gripfill plugged into the gap was reccommended following silicone sealant.. I am wondering if this would work in my case? any comments/tips would be greatly appreciated at this time .

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:15 am

L,

DO THE TILES OVERHANG THE TRAY?
OR
DO THE TILES RUN DOWN BEHIND TRAY?

NEED TO KNOW IN ORDER TO RECOMEND GOOD FIX!!!

IF YOU DECIDE JUST TO GO AHEAD WITH SEALENT FIX, BE SURE TO THOROUGHLY CLEAN, DE-GREASE AND DRY AREA BEFORE APPLYING ANY SEALENT.

A.

lizab
Labourer
Labourer

by lizab » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:16 am

The tiles rest behind the shower tray...and the gap may be more than 5mm, though we find the tip that you have given us so valuable , and something to hold onto . we have decided to go for the tile over tile method so that the tiles rest on the tray.
Thank you so much

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:47 pm

L,

THATS SPOT ON!

BUT STILL SILCONE SEAL BETWEEN OLD TILES AND TRAY THEN ALSO NEW TILES AND SHOWER TRAY.(DOUBLE WAMMY, SO TO SPEAK).

IF YOU ARE GETTING THE JOB DONE FOR YOU MAKE SURE YOU TELL THE INSTALLER THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!!!

IF IT ISN'T SEALED THE WATER WILL FIND ITS WAY THROUGH SOONER OR LATER, IF NOT DIRECTLY IT WILL BY CAPILLARY ACTION(SUCTION/DRAW) AND MOVEMENT OF TRAY UNDER WEIGHT OF USER.

A.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:32 pm