Timber Framed Garden Building Including Bed, Shower and Toilet
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
johnyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

Timber Framed Garden Building Including Bed, Shower and Toilet

Post by johnyoung » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:04 am

I am planning to build a timber framed detached building which will be a workshop/garden room including a bed/shower/toilet for occasional visitors. I have been told that I will need B Regs approval for the structure.

I was planning to construct using 100x50 studs with shiplap on the outside and t&g boarding inside - to give a cabin feel. Can anyone advise thickness of insulation I will require. I favour using Celotex or similar??

Thanks - John

michaelscad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Timber Framed Garden Building Including Bed, Shower and Toilet

Post by michaelscad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:00 pm

building control don't normally get involved unless it's a hbitable structure
planning however is a different thing check this out before you start

Shem KSW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Timber Framed Garden Building Including Bed, Shower and Toilet

Post by Shem KSW » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Id go bigger personally and add barrier layer, (roofing membrane). say 4x2, osb, 2x2 barrier layer then shiplap. Ive built a lot like this and they retain heat amazingly.
Obviously this would cost more. Worst case scenario add the fabric layer before the ship lap on your original plan. Shiplap can shrink a lot in dry weather exposing the inside, so the barrier really will be money well spent.

You shouldnt need regs if its an annex of the property and not for living in independently. IE, if the person staying in it comes into the house to eat meals, watch tv, use the bath etc

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:36 pm