Timber outbuilding: how close can I go?
Questions answered and a range of solutions on problems and issues encountered with timber framed buildings

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neopyrrhus
Labourer
Labourer

Timber outbuilding: how close can I go?

Post by neopyrrhus » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Hello, I'm planning a timber outbuilding: timber frame and shiplap cladding with a flat roof. It will be insulated, perhaps with cellotex or glass fibre. To maximise the size of the construction I'd like to place it as close as possible to my existing brick built house. Planning regs mean that, in my case, a lean-to is not a good option. So, is there a minimum sensible distance, breathing space etc. that I should leave between the brick house wall and the timber wall of the shed? I guess in theory it should be possible to leave a gap of only a few centimetres but will this cause problems with damp etc.? I plan to use tantalised ship lap to reduce the rate of decay etc. Is there a simple alternative to a timber wall that would suffer less in a situation where regular painting/treating or maintenance is not possible? I worry that UPVC cladding would multiply any problems with damp accumulating in the narrow gap? Thanks for any advice in advance.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Timber outbuilding: how close can I go?

Post by welsh brickie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:14 am

its best to leave as much gap as possible, rain flying off the roof will cause damp on the brickwork of the house, upvc shiplap plastic is better, you can buy it in woodgrain or light oak info@fasterplastics.co.uk

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:33 am