Tips and Advice on Doing Ikea Kitchen Install
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marconeill6
Labourer
Labourer

Tips and Advice on Doing Ikea Kitchen Install

Post by marconeill6 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Hello,

I'm new here and this is my first post, so go easy on me if I break any rules! I'm a suspended ceiling fixer by trade and have a lot of diy experience so have a good fairly decent understanding of most things and a decent tool kit as well.

I'm looking for general tips or any heads up you might be able to offer on my ikea kitchen install. I'm planning on doing most if not all myself, starting with ripping out my b&q kitchen.

I'll be tiling as well (walls only) using real brick effect "slips", and from what I've read online so far, it's best to tile first. Anybody disagree with that?

I'm considering getting a joiner to do the oak veneer work top as I don't have a router or biscuit jointer so by the time I buy these to use once I could just pay someone to have it done right. It's really only one joint due to the layout and there's no cuts required for sink or hob (I think) as we've got a Belfast sink and a range master cooker. As for the wall and base units, I'll be doing these myself, any tips on that would be great.

I'm planning on installing more lighting and moving existing spot lights, again I may get a qualified electrician for this plus the installation of the range master cooker we've bought.

I'll post an update when I get started, thanks in advance.

Marc

WGT52
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Tips and Advice on Doing Ikea Kitchen Install

Post by WGT52 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:50 pm

1) make sure floor is level;
2) first fix plumbing and electrics
3) if you are having a floor covering (Vinyl or laminate) lay that first.
4) If like me you are putting batterns on the wall fix them now.
5) identify the lowest point of the floor where the base units are going. Affix legs to that cabinet and fully extend them then wind in one turn.
6) stand first cabinet in place, make sure it is upright and level. Fix in place - that is now your reference.
7) Fix remaining base units in turn making sure each one is upright and the top is level with the first cabinet. Where you are leaving a gap for 'white goods' again make sure the base unit tops are level across the gap.
8) Once all base units are in place worktop may be fixed in place.
9) With sink in place 2nd fix plumbing
10) wall cabinets
11) splashback and upstand or seal worktop to tiles
12) 2nd fix electrics
13) white goods

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:20 pm