Tips on repairing a fire place that will be used for log burning
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Derrick241
Apprentice
Apprentice

fire place

by Derrick241 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:03 pm

Not really sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes

My son has recently bought a house, it had a fire place but was boarded up, someone has tried to put in something new but it looks bloody awful, snots of cement and everything, I wouldnt want to try and use it

Can anyone give any tips on repairing a fire place, it would be used for log burning, only, I'm not a pro brickie, but have built several walls around my gaerden

I am a plumber I have checked the chimney works and 'draws' but the 'damper' has gone as well (maybe thats why it was boarded up, I'd like to get this up to a fully working fire again, anyone help out withg tips and advice, what matierials are needed, planning permissions, pictures, websites

(I dont want one of these pretend gas fires, or anything electric

Would really be appreciated

thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: fire place

by welsh brickie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:30 am

I would invest in a cast iron log burner myself,its more efficent,it needs to be inspected and passed by a HETAS engineer.But if you want a traditional fire you need to install a fireback and throat,Set it in place and use only lime and sand or vermiculite to fill the void at the back,Expansion of the material is the key problem, and unless you know how to fit it properly then it will crack.
Check out youtube for more information.For cast iron log burners try Ebay.

Derrick241
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Derrick241 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks, a log burner sounds ideal, any links, pictures, please ?
who and what is a HETAs engineer ? What do they look for ?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:26 pm

when fitting a cast iron log burner, the flue and registerplate need to be inspected once fitted.You can do the work yourself and its relatively easy.Search youtube videos for installation,it will give you some idea of whats involved.

Derrick241
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Derrick241 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:36 pm

I had a look, not really what I want, but does look nice, I'm after a fireplace, bit like the ones in the 50's, 60's
With a grate to stack logs on

Would any brickie know how to build a fire place or renovate this one ? get rid of the rubbish that has been put in

Had the chimney swept today, that was a waste of time, no soot at all,no obstructions, just a bit of dust, so its fine

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:02 am

I think what your after a cast iron insert.They are quite easy to fit any competant builder is able to fit it for you.

Derrick241
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Derrick241 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:09 pm

What about the manky brickwork ?
any pictuires on what it is supposed to look like, would I be able to sort it out ?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:01 pm

if you strip out as much of the old stuff as possible and replace it with vermiculite its pretty simple,"google" cast iron inserts or try fireworld for technical data and information

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Derrick241,
You've posed a very general question.
Suggest you try and fit a proprietory fireback and grate with a damper to close off the chimney if you can find one. Have a look at the Baxi Burnall range for some ideas.
end

Derrick241
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Derrick241 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Cheers, stoneyboy, at least this will (should) give me an idea of what I want (or rather what my son wants)

I'm just the gofer

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 am