To flue or not to flue
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Se7en
Labourer
Labourer

To flue or not to flue

by Se7en » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi

I am hoping that you will be able to help me.

I live in Stevenage in an ex-council house that had a gas combination fire installed in the living room. On having a new combi boiler fitted I got the installers (British Gas) to remove the boiler fire from the living room.

I purchased a gas fire and surround to have fitted in the living room where the old boiler used to be. My builder fitted the fire surround to the fireplace but could not fit the gas fire as he is not CORGI registered (fully understandable).

I have contacted two CORGI registered fitters for quotations for fitting the gas fire which has the following specification:-

Product Features
Width (mm): 1105
Depth (mm): 380
Height (mm): 1065
Brand: Winther Browne
Fixings included: Yes
Warranty/guarantee: Warranty
Warranty/guarantee details: 12 months
Flue Type: Suitable for all flue and chimney types
Assembly Required: Yes
Product Type: Gas Suites
Fuel Type: Gas
Heat Output Max (kW): 2
Finish: Unfinished Ash Veneer

Additional Information
Suite comprises fire, surround, back panel and hearth
Real ash veneer surround with matching hearth tray
Brass effect Blenheim gas fire
Alabaster/black marble effect double sided laminate back panel and hearth insert
Heat Output: min 1.1kW, max 3.1kW
Heat Input: 6kW
Class 2 gas fire
FSC approved
Gas fires should be fitted by a CORGI registered installer
All fires must be installed in accordance with the manufacturers' installation instructions and current building regulations

Both fitters have stated that I need to have the metal flue removed and one has stated that I need a special chimney pot/cap fitted. Both are quoting exorbitant prices for this additional work (£300). What I cannot understand is, in light of there being a gas fire previously fitted and that the specifications state the fire is suitable for 'all flue and chimney types', also in the instructions it states that the fire can be used either flue or flue-less, why any changes?

I understand that you, having not seen the installation, may not be able to accurately give an answer but can you please advise me on whether the chimney lining needs removed and whether a special chimney pot/cap needs fitting. It appears strange to me that there was a fire there before that worked and performed perfectly well, that a replacement fire would need all this extra work.

I appreciate your help with this matter.

Se7en

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

hi!

by AdamsHeating » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:29 pm

Hello

According to corgi, the flue liner should be replaced ever 15years or so, depending on its state or when a new appliance is installed. The usual reason for putting one in is because the chimney may not have been performing to a safe standard for the appropriate appliance ( but councils always fit chimney linings to save hassle in the future).

If anything, I always suggest that the liner is replaced if it is anything over than 10 years old and this is the expensive part of the job. Think about it, the Registered Gas Installer (RGI) will need to get on the roof to put the new liner in position, so if he's extra safety conscious, he is going to get scaffolding. These are all added costs. Even to just remove it he will need to get on the roof, so you can expect to pay a premium unfortunately.

They may enlist the help of a builder to do this and that could be where the £300 comes from.

Probably not what you wanted to hear...

AH.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:27 pm

I think adamsheating has mis-understood the post. They say you need to remove the flue liner - not replace it.

Read the manufacturers instructions for the fire. This will tell you the installation requirements. You do have to remove the liner with some fires - let's put it another way - why would they remove it ? extra hassle ? if they didn't have to.

Htg

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:47 pm

Potential misread it, Hartlepool won today so I celebrated with a few shandies!!!

My point is, why are they removing a flue liner that has been installed for a reason, which to us is unknown? If they are not replacing it how do they know the liner wasn't installed because of deteriation of the chimney? The usual process is to remove it and replace it. The pot may be "not to current standards" so it may need replacing.

They only reason they would say removed it without replacing it is if it states that in the manufactures instructions. Check them very closely.

AH

da pickles
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: To flue or not to flue

by da pickles » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:10 pm

[quote="Se7en"]Hi

I am hoping that you will be able to help me.

I live in Stevenage in an ex-council house that had a gas combination fire installed in the living room. On having a new combi boiler fitted I got the installers (British Gas) to remove the boiler fire from the living room.

I purchased a gas fire and surround to have fitted in the living room where the old boiler used to be. My builder fitted the fire surround to the fireplace but could not fit the gas fire as he is not CORGI registered (fully understandable).

I have contacted two CORGI registered fitters for quotations for fitting the gas fire which has the following specification:-

Product Features
Width (mm): 1105
Depth (mm): 380
Height (mm): 1065
Brand: Winther Browne
Fixings included: Yes
Warranty/guarantee: Warranty
Warranty/guarantee details: 12 months
Flue Type: Suitable for all flue and chimney types
Assembly Required: Yes
Product Type: Gas Suites
Fuel Type: Gas
Heat Output Max (kW): 2
Finish: Unfinished Ash Veneer

Additional Information
Suite comprises fire, surround, back panel and hearth
Real ash veneer surround with matching hearth tray
Brass effect Blenheim gas fire
Alabaster/black marble effect double sided laminate back panel and hearth insert
Heat Output: min 1.1kW, max 3.1kW
Heat Input: 6kW
Class 2 gas fire
FSC approved
Gas fires should be fitted by a CORGI registered installer
All fires must be installed in accordance with the manufacturers' installation instructions and current building regulations

Both fitters have stated that I need to have the metal flue removed and one has stated that I need a special chimney pot/cap fitted. Both are quoting exorbitant prices for this additional work (£300). What I cannot understand is, in light of there being a gas fire previously fitted and that the specifications state the fire is suitable for 'all flue and chimney types', also in the instructions it states that the fire can be used either flue or flue-less, why any changes?

I understand that you, having not seen the installation, may not be able to accurately give an answer but can you please advise me on whether the chimney lining needs removed and whether a special chimney pot/cap needs fitting. It appears strange to me that there was a fire there before that worked and performed perfectly well, that a replacement fire would need all this extra work.

I appreciate your help with this matter.

Se7en[/quote]
if it was myself footing the bill for a new liner fire etc for a fire thats barely 50% effecient . i'd scrap it and go for a balanced flue[ these can be fitted with a liner in liner system]and get upto 90% effecient. why spend money to waste money

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:40 pm